The Simon-Erdős School of Design Sciences (“DESC”) offers graduate-level programs leading to a Junior and Senior Fellowship, and, in near future, PhD programs in Design Sciences. Depending on the program or department, the intake and submission deadlines may vary. Operations Relations or Fellowship and Post-Doctoral Affairs (FPA) will provide you with deadlines, admissions requirements and program details
Frequently Asked Questions
What you do once you receive offer of admission, although delighted to have you in the program
You should begin applying at least two weeks before the application deadline to arrange your supporting documents and references.
Kindly note that we do not review applications until after the application deadline. Also, once your application has been submitted, it cannot be changed.
Consistently as the one-of-a-kind research academy, our international reputation for research and innovation attracts some of the most inspiring and creative participants and researchers in the world.
The Simon-Erdős School of Design Sciences is likely to have a large cohort of international graduate participants. You’re assumed to be expected to collaborate with over 200 participants on campus, 60% of whom are international, from 54 countries.
The course aims:
- to provide a foundation for research into the practice of programming and the design of digital, analytical and knowledge-based systems;
- to present knowledge, experience, reasoning methods and design and implementation techniques that are robust and forward-looking;
- to provide the foundation for a professional career in the digital and computing industries, including semiconductor, fin-tech, service-networks, Internet of Things (IoT) fields; and
- to enhance the skills of a professional who is already working in one of these industries.
Admission Review Process
Once you have uploaded all of your required documents, and your referees have completed their reference forms, your application is complete. The document status will change from “Initiated” to “Completed” under your documents list in STAGE. Completed applications will be reviewed following the application deadline.
We understand that you are eager to obtain an admission decision. Our goal is to issue a decision as quickly as possible so that you have adequate time to review your offer and make a decision.
Your application will first be reviewed by the academic unit to which you have applied. The academic unit will manage the supervisor review process, if applicable. Applicants selected by the academic unit are recommended for admission and the application is sent to the Faculty Associate Director’s Office.
The Faculty Associate Director’s Office then reviews your application. All applications approved for admission are then sent to Fellowship and Post-doctoral Affairs for review and final approval.
Fellowship and Postdoctoral Affairs (FPA) reviews your application to verify admissibility.
Once an admission decision has been made, applicants will receive an email and an admission decision will appear in STAGE. Admitted participants can then view and print our electronic offer of admission letter.
Official admission to any program of fellowship studies is in the form of an “Offer of Admission” issued by DESC.
We appreciate your patience during the admission review process.
Admission to fellowship programs at the DESC can be very competitive. Due to capacity limitations, it’s possible that applicants who exceed our minimum requirements might not be offered admission.
Once the admission review process is complete, your admission decision will appear on STAGE.
Admitted participants can view and print our electronic offer of admission letter, and any conditions of admission, on STAGE. Note that a paper offer of admission will not be sent.
How to view your admission decision:
- Log in to STAGE.
- Your active application will be listed under Admissions.
- Select your “Program Name”.
- Your current program status will be listed under Statusand Offer.
- Select “View Letter” to view your offer of admission.
How to accept your offer of admission:
- After reviewing your offer of admission details, please accept (or decline) your offer in STAGEby the deadline indicated on your offer.
- Visit STAGE Fellowship applicants page for information on how to accept or decline your offer of admission.
- For multiple offers of admission, contact email@example.com for assistance.
Review your conditions of admission:
- Review your conditions and note the due date(s) assigned to those conditions in STAGE. Satisfy your conditions as soon as possible or at least by the due date.
- Your conditions of admission must be satisfied before we can make you active into your program. Matriculation takes place approximately six weeks before the term begins.
Learn more about the conditions of admission listed in your offer.
Understanding Your Offer Letter
Congratulations on your offer of admission.
We hope that you decide to join our exceptional fellowship studies community at the DESC.
Your offer letter includes a wealth of information about your admission and future studies.
Your offer of admission to support you in making a decision about your fellowship studies. We’ll review admission conditions, funding packages, supervisor assignment, English proficiency requirements, immigration documentation, and more.
For more information on how to accept your offer, please visit our Admission decision webpage.
Conditions of Admission
We are excited to have you join our fellowship community. You have accepted your offer of admission and now need to satisfy your condition(s) of admission.
Your condition(s) of admission are listed in your offer of admission and in STAGE.
- Due dates are listed with the condition(s) in STAGEPlease be aware of the due dates as most conditions need to be satisfied well before the start of term.
- Visit STAGE Fellowship applicants for step-by-step instructions on how to view your conditions.
Arrange for required documents by email or courier:
FPA will accept official secure electronic transcripts provided by the issuing institution and from services such as MyCreds, Digitary, eScript-Safe, CSSD (formerly CHESICC), National Participant Clearinghouse, Parchment or TranscriptsNetwork. If your institution issues a secure electronic transcript, please have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: The DESC does not partner with anyone for organizing transcripts, so please upload and submit only the notarized copy of your transcript documents online. Do not select “generate a link to my documents.”
Or arrange for official documents to be sent by courier to:
Fellowship and Postdoctoral Affairs (FPA)
Simon-Erdős School of Design Sciences
Aerospace Technology Campus
3800 Cessna Dr,
Richmond, BC V7B 0A1
Information Sessions Details
For more information on a specific condition, please follow a quick link below:
- ELP Test – English language proficiency (ELP) certification
- English for multilingual speakers (EMLS) credit courses for fellow participants
- Intensive ESL – English for academic success (EFAS)
- Sponsorship documentation